Breaking News

Rod Laver: 'For Laver Cup it all started with Roger Federer'

In an interview to Tennis Channel Rod Laver commented on the birth of the Laver Cup. The Australian praised Roger Federer's role into it. 'I am honoured, and of course, it all started with Roger Federer', said Laver. 'He feels that Open tennis has been here 50 years but tennis has been for 100 years before, so he feels, I am the throwback of past champions, and so that's what I feel great about that and honoured to think that two were played in Prague and Chicago were total successes, and when you got 18 to 20,000 people nightly enjoying it, this is real.'

Laver got the Australian Open trophy by Novak Djokovic on Monday during the tournament's first week: 'I am so honoured that I could take that back with me, so it will be in a prominent place for sure.'

Laver also commented on Stefanos Tsitsipas's win over Federer. On the 20-year-old Laver said: 'I saw him playing some unbelievable matches through the year and I had the feeling that Roger was gonna have to play some of his best tennis to pull this win off. The young generation, all knocking at the door, and that match the other night is gonna put him at another level. I feel like you have to crawl up a ladder, you up, then you come down, and your whole game is revolving around wins.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RTqN4R

No comments