Breaking News

Serena Williams comments on her ankle condition after loss

Serena Williams admitted that her opponent Karolina Pliskova delivered an amazing performance against her in the late stages of their quarter-final match. The Czech won 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 recovering from 1-5 down in the third set and saving four match points. During the match Serena turned her ankle. Speaking about the state of her ankle, she said, 'My ankle seems to be fine,' the American said. 'I usually don't know until the next day, so... I think she just played lights out on match point, literally, hitting lines. Just went for -- just went crazy on match point. So I don't think --- she just played unbelievable on match point.'

Why didn't Serena ask for a trainer on that changeover after turning her ankle? 'I really hate calling the trainer out, to be honest. And at that point I didn't feel like I needed it or I didn't feel like it would be a big deal. So I just kept going.'

Serena also credited her opponent: 'I think she just played well on my serve after that point. I think she just kind of started playing really, really good. I don't think it had anything to do with my ankle, per se. I just think she was just nailing and hitting shots. Obviously I made some mistakes, but she played really well after that. I think honestly she didn't start playing until she was down match point. I think she really gave it her all at that point. I don't think giving up was an option for her. At that point I'm just trying to think, Okay, win some points, win this game. Then I had a couple more match points on her serve. Naturally I thought, All right, here we go, you're going to win one of these. That clearly didn't happen, but I was just trying at that point.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FZzjbw

No comments