Breaking News

Serena Williams: 'Navratilova, King made our sport what it is today'

Serena Williams feels a lot of admiration towards Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King for all what they did in tennis. In a press conference, Serena said: 'I think there's a lot of respect mutually between all of us. For me, they are still on a pedestal. They are still like some of the greatest players that's ever played our sport and that's made our sport what it is today. It's given me this opportunity for me to be here today and to travel and to have this life. For me, I have definitely a tremendous amount of respect. To even be mentioned in the same sentence as those greats for me is still, and I think will always, be an honor.'

Serena finally recalled her beginnings on the Tour: 'When you're so young, you get to see people, then you play on the tour with them, you're competing at the same level as well as them, it's really just those, if anything, a desire for her to be 10 years old, and then all of a sudden to be one of the elite few that actually can make it in a Grand Slam. If anything, I think it speaks more to her.'

Serena showed to still be able to be competitive at the highest level this year by making a great comeback. The American player reached two Grand Slams, Wimbledon and US Open, respectively losing to Angelique Kerber and Naomi Osaka. The 22-time Major winner believes Serena has a shot at winning two more Slams and beat Margaret Court's 24 crowns record. 'Absolutely, yes. I think a lot of it is determined on her drive and if that is what she wants to do', said Graf.

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2F16zyG

No comments