Breaking News

Thierry Van Cleemput splits with Goffin, starts working with Simona Halep

Simona Halep may have a new coach in the short term future. The Romanian player split with Darren Cahill at the end of last year as the Australian wants to stay closer to his family, and the Australian Open Thierry Van Cleemput watched her match against Serena Williams on Monday. Van Cleemput split with David Goffin.

In press conference Halep explained: 'We are talking. I have nothing to do with their split. I like him as a coach. I like him as a person. So is not my official coach. We didn't decide yet anything. We just have to know each other better. We are talking just.'

Just based off of this tournament and given everything that was going on before the tournament and preparation, coach, all these sorts of things, what do you take out of your four matches here? 'Close to 10. I have the courage to say that, because I took the risk to stay home so much, and I haven't been prepared for the highest level in tennis, but I did not play bad, so I'm happy about the way that it's been going this tournament, and I take only the positives. I had great matches. I had the toughest draw, but it was nice.'

Halep had headed into the Australian Open playing just one match before that, the opening round loss to Ashleigh Barty at the Sydney International.

Van Cleemput feels confident about a possible co-operation with Halep. They will train together next week in Bucharest ahead of Doha and Dubai tournaments in February. “We’ll have a trial period to see if I feel all right, if she feels all right", said the Belgian.

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2MsWKLj

No comments