Breaking News

Wawrinka comments on Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic's dominance

In an interview to The Times of India, the three-time Grand Slam winner Stan Wawrinka commented on the Big Three's dominance. Together, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, who form the Big Three have won 51 Grand Slam titles combined so far and don't seem willing to stop, but Wawrinka believes a changing of the guards is about to come. 'If you look you'll see a lot of players, more players who are winning Masters 1000 tournaments, like Alexander Zverev and Dominic Thiem, than Grand Slams', said Wawrinka. 'For 10-15 years you have those big three winning everything, but now they are 35-37 years of age and they are more at the end than the beginning of their careers. I'm more or less same age as them, I arrived at the same time as them when they were already dominating, winning Grand Slams and I'm probably going to leave more or less the same time as them. I think everybody has his own career and everybody is trying to make the best of it.'

The 33-year-old is trying to comeback at his best level and he will try to get the best possible results at the Australian Open where he won his maiden Grand Slam title in 2014 defeating Nadal in a four-set final.

Asked if he ever doubted about his comeback, Wawrinka - who underwent a double surgery in August 2017 - said: 'I did think a few times that I may not be able to come back to my old self, old level. Especially last year, six months after surgery and I was walking around, I wasn't happy with how I had improved. I had some tough months, tough moments. The most important is to stay patient, to see the direct result, work every day in the right direction. But last four or five months was a step in the right direction. Not just physically, but also mentally, to see that I could beat Grigor Dimitrov twice, he was top-10 at that time. I won some big matches. It was important to keep this energy so that I could work day after day.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Hhzu4j

No comments