Breaking News

Caroline Wozniacki may not play 2020 Olympics - Here is why

Caroline Wozniacki will not play for Denmark the Fed Cup in Poland in the Europe/Africa Group 1, where they are facing Poland and Russia. 'Caroline's absence makes things tougher, but we perfectly understand that her illness forces her to have a light schedule this year', said Jens Anker Andersen, the Fed Cup captain, through a press release.

Wozniacki needs to play two Fed Cup events to compete in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. She played just one in 2015. She is likely to appeal the rule to ITF in a court. The Australian Open defending junior champion Clara Tauson, Karen Barritza, Emilie Francati, Maria Jespersen and Hannah Viller Møller will play for Denmark.

The world No. 9 last competed in an official match in the Australian Open third round losing to Maria Sharapova, and she will play just one tournament in February, the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship. Wozniacki also plans to play in Indian Wells and Miami in March.

After her loss to Sharapova, in press conference Wozniacki said: 'As long as you give it your all out there, as long as I fought for every point and was really trying to do everything in my power to win, I can't really blame myself for anything. You know, I'm sitting here and, of course, I'm disappointed that I'm not through to the fourth round. I wish I was. But, you know, I can't be too hard on myself with what I got today. I did what I could.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HOKS7T

No comments