Breaking News

Lucas Pouille: 'I had never seen Novak Djokovic playing so well'

In an interview to Le Figaro Lucas Pouille spoke about his great Australian Open that ended in a straight-set semifinal against the eventual champion Novak Djokovic who then went on to defeat Rafael Nadal and win the title. "Just after the match, there was a disappointment. But there was nothing to do. Djokovic was above all the others. He just hit 14 unforced errors between the semifinal and final, it's just unbelievable. I had never seen him performing at that level", admitted Pouille.

Asked if Djokovic can beat Nadal at the French Open, the 25-year-old replied: 'Nadal stays Nadal at the French Open. He is at home. On clay, he (Djokovic) is just behind Nadal to me.'

Asked why he took a wild card to play in Acapulco, Pouille replied: 'Last year I reached three finals over four weeks (Montpellier-Marseille and Dubai). I was tired and in Indian Wells, I did not perform well. We decided to get a break during the Marseille week (18-24 February). It was a difficult choice because I love this tournament. But the idea is to come as fresh as possible for the two Masters 1000s on the American soul.'

Is the French Open in his mind? 'It's frankly far away. I think about the Montpellier tournament. The idea is to wake up in the morning and giving my best daily without useless pressure. I want to have a complete year. Obviously, it's in the angle of my mind, I want to qualify for the ATP Finals. But I plan to really focused on the present.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2D3y8V7

No comments