Breaking News

Maria Sharapova: When I go to tournaments, I usually focus just on tennis

Maria Sharapova wanted to go the distance in St. Petersburg tournament. That's why, as she always does while playing, she wanted to think just about the game and not on being a tourist in the city. Speaking to reporters, the five-time Grand Slam winner said: 'When I go to tournaments, I usually focus just on tennis. Since it was my first time here, I had to do some cultural research. I saw the Opera, which I really liked. We dined, we went to the Hermitage, it was great. I hope to have more days to see something more.'

Sharapova also spoke about the differences between St. Petersburg and the Australian Open: 'This is a completely different tournament, we play indoors. The court is much slower than Australia and all these changes for me are nothing new. I have a lot of experience. I am very happy to have come to St. Petersburg for the first time in my life. I honestly wanted to come before, but luckily I did not make it. I am pleased with this support. I know that when I play in my country, they support me a lot. For me, winning a match at home after many years means a lot.'

Sharapova, however, had to withdraw before her second-round match against countrywoman Daria Kasatkina in St. Petersburg because of a shoulder injury. Kasatkina played another compatriot, Vera Zvonareva in the quarter-final on Friday. 

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2taifbf

No comments