Breaking News

Acapulco open to welcome Roger Federer one day, says tournament director

In an exclusive interview with Tennis World USA, the Acapulco Mexican Open Tournament Director Raul Zurutuza commented on Roger Federer saying that he will play in Dubai again next year. The Arab event takes place in the same week as Acapulco, where the Basel native last played in 1996. "He has all the rights to go the places that best fit his schedule. I always said I have a lot of respect for him, and I congratulate Dubai for the great relationship they have with him. I am sorry that he did not give us the opportunity to show him what we do and the Mexican Open would be open for him to come if he wants to. I am happy for Dubai", said Zurutuza.

Would Acapulco have the financial resources to bring Federer? "I think we have the conditions. A lot of great players have a great time in Acapulco and I do not see why he should make an exception. The conditions are there, his wife Mirka played in Acapulco many years ago. We will see if we can try for 2021!"

On David Ferrer's farewell to tennis, Zurutuza concluded: "He would have deserved to win a Grand Slam. But in an era with Murray, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal, it's not easy. But I think he had a great career, he did very well, and I am very happy for him that he has a chance to choose how to retire. Hopefully, he enjoys his experience at this week's Miami Open, then I think he plays in Barcelona and Madrid and then a new chapter starts."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TurptM

No comments