Breaking News

Alexander Zverev: I am not afraid to say what I think

Alexander Zverev believes that being honest when speaking to reporters is a priority for him. Last year, after his loss at the Rogers Cup to Stefanos Tsitsipas in Toronto, Zverev said that the match was a very bad one. "I am not afraid to say what I think," said Zverev in an interview to L'Equipe. "When the match is terrible, I say that it is terrible; when the match is very good, I also say it. I hope people like my honesty. They deserve to know what is in (the) players' mind. And not standard answers such as "everything's fine" or "I lost because my opponent was better". If we all say the same thing, it's not fun anymore."

Zverev also gave his thoughts on the introduction of the fifth set tie-break introduction at the Australian Open and Wimbledon: "(If the) Slams were played in the best-of-three format, I would have a better chance - at least at this time of my career - to win one, that's true but I maintain my position. Majors are not only about money, they are about history. It's been like that for a long time. There is no question of changing the format. It's like a religion."

Zverev concluded: "Obviously, I want to be remembered as a very good player, but also as a good person. Not only for who I am on the court. How? By giving back to people, by being nice to children. By thinking about the environment, the oceans, the wild. I want to start being more involved in this type of issue. For now, investment for these causes is not at the level I would like it to be. But I'm interested. What we do the planet (i.e.: the bad things) makes me sad."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HxIrFK

No comments