Breaking News

Roger Federer shares how pressure turns dreams into disaster

In a press conference, Roger Federer commented on how pressure and expectations can influence a tennis player. The Swiss is used to it. "It starts very locally and you move on and on, and you have to prove yourself time and time again," said the 37-year-old. "That pressure can definitely weigh on you, you lose the fun sometimes, just because you seek a lifetime goal, and instead of enjoying yourself and play tennis as your heroes used to, now people expect you to win, like losing in the quarter-final which was a dream, is like a disaster, it changes the mindset of you as a player and as a professional athlete and that's why I always try to remember, You know what, as long as I enjoy what I am doing and train hard have no regrets and all I can do is give my best, then it's gonna be fine regardless of the outcome."

Asked how often he gets nervous, Federer replied: "Surprisingly yes in the first, second, third round and sometimes not in the semis. I cannot predict when I am going to be nervous because sometimes I sleep well, I wake up, I feel like Wow, today is a great day, I feel good in practice. Next thing is like walk on court, I play really poorly or I am super nervous or the other way. I felt horrible the whole day and then I play a dream match. So there is no real secret to it."

Federer will try to get far at the Miami Open where he won three titles, including most recently in 2017 defeating Rafael Nadal in a straight-set final.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2OjeCJM

No comments