Breaking News

Bencic: 'I am not Roger Federer yet, I cannot win Major events every week'

In an interview to WTA Insider,  Belinda Bencic reflected on what it meant to her to win the Dubai Duty-Free Tennis Championship beating Petra Kvitova in a three-set final. The Swiss player said: “I am pleased with my game, especially in the final. In the end, I managed to cope with my nerves, and this is great. I respect Petra very much, so it was very hard for me in the final. Last week’s Mertens victory was an inspiration to me. And even before that, I was impressed by the opposition between Osaka and Kvitova in Melbourne. We all learn from each other, it helps us to progress. The sensations of victory are incredible, I have not won major tournaments for a long time. I am not (Roger) Federer yet and I cannot win at major tournaments every day or every week."

In an interview with Luzerner Zeitung, Bencic added: "To be honest, I cannot realize it. It's really to be beautiful to be true. I had to wait a long time for such a moment. Probably this awareness will come just some days after. It's a little crazy, it worked all of sudden here. Obviously, I came here to deliver one or two upsets but I could have never thought that I would beat four top players. Total craziness."

On how she handled it mentally, Bencic added: "Some times I was getting hot inside myself, but I was calm outside. I was mentally very strong because I did not have setbacks. I played important points in a very coherent, simple way and I was focused. There was no fear and I did not have doubts."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2XTPLQP

No comments