Breaking News

Bianca Andreescu: I was one step ahead today

For a second time in as many weeks, Bianca Andreescu outlasted German Angelique Kerber to reach the Fourth Round of the Miami Open.

The pair had met in the BNP Paribas Open Final last week with the Canadian taking out Kerber for a second time on the trot. Andreescu let go a 6-4, 4-1 lead in the match to eventually win 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, to reach the round of 16.

“It wasn't easy today. Kerber played a really great match but I think I took the momentum from the final into this match," Andreescu said on-court after the match. “I expected a lot of good things from her but I think I was one step ahead today.”

She becomes just the third player on the WTA Tour this season to have a win streak in double digits. "I know I was up 4-1 in the second set, but I tried to leave that past me, and I took my chances in the third," Andreescu added.

“Nothing was really going on in my head, but I was just super tired. I just tried to save as much energy as possible but I left it all out there today. I felt that she wasn't playing her best tennis, so I kind of just fed off of that.”

She next takes on Anett Kontaveit for a place in the quarterfinals and Andreescu is not taking that match lightly. "I think she's feeling pretty confident in her game right now," the Canadian assessed. "I watched her matches this week. She's a very aggressive player, she has a really good serve. She fights really hard.”

"I'm definitely not expecting an easy match, but I'm looking forward to it. I think right now, I'm just really confident in my game and I can do really well in this tournament because of that."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2YiJP4d

No comments