Breaking News

David Ferrer's farewell tour as he takes wild card for Miami

David Ferrer's farewell tour continues. The Spanish player got a wild card to play the Miami Open that starts on March 18. At first the American tournament was not on the 36-year-old's schedule, as he was supposed to play his last tournament outside Spain last week in Acapulco. Ferrer competed at the Mexican Open losing to Alexander Zverev in the second round, but he wants to give himself a shot in Miami too. Without a doubt the Hard Rock Stadium new venue and his tournament history - in 2013 he lost an epic final to Andy Murray wasting a match point - played a role on Ferrer's decision. The former world No. 3 will play in Barcelona and Madrid on clay in the next months. Ferrer was not the only Spaniard who got a wild card as the promising 18-year-old Nikola Kuhn, world No 248, also got one. Kuhn is managed by the company IMG that also owns the Miami Open.

In a press conference speaking of his work ethic Ferrer said: "I have worked but not any more than the other tennis players. No, I don't think so. You know, for to be a Top 10, you need talent, you need good legs, good timing. You know, I have a very good timing with my ball, backhand, forehand, and I have a very good receive. My best weapons is my consistent and my receive. So I have that, and I am one of the best tennis players of the world about that and improve that, but I don't have that because I work hard work a lot or I work hard more than the other tennis players. I thought all the tennis players are hard work. Depends of the game, some tennis player. But everyone work hard every day."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2O0KKkY

No comments