Breaking News

Del Potro: 'I could have fought for top rankings positions in Melbourne'

Juan Martin del Potro is trying to come back to play tennis. The Argentine has been dealing with a knee injury since the past October at the Shanghai Masters and he has withdrawn from the Miami Open and possibly undergoing surgery. In Delray Beach last month, he spoke about how his goals have changed. "The rankings were important until that the knee happened", said del Potro. "I had got to the No. 3 and I had a lot of chances in the China tournaments, the indoor ones, I could have ended third or second, and then fighting for the top places at the Australian Open. Unfortunately it did not happen and now it's like that I leave the rankings a little bit hidden. Now I am not in the best conditions and I defend a lot of points from the last year, which the logical thing should not to repeat it, but I have to undergo through the process and feel myself recovered as soon as possible. I am not sad and the status of my knee will progress over the time."

"With my wrists I always said that I was close to retire, because I did not find a way and I could not play. This was the difference with my injury, I did not think about retiring. If I thought: "Why to me again?" In my best time I had the bad luck to fall and the knee suffered a fracture; but these things happen and you have to think positive. I know how difficult is to keep the good level, I know that there are other players and what it takes to achieve big things. But I have willingness to try it again."

Del Potro did not enter to play the Monte Carlo Masters.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Fr2NhI

No comments