Breaking News

Petra Kvitová getting closer to world No. 1, naps between the rain delay

Rain has been a frequent disruptor at the Miami Open, but typical of Florida, the rain delays don’t seem to last very long, for the most part. Still, Petra Kvitová took full advantage during her match with Caroline Garcia, 6-3, 6-3, when she was just a game away from winning the match.

“Well, I think I played great match today from the beginning, which I'm very pleased with. Of course with the rain delay it's always makes some troubles.

“Had a quick nap, and, you know, it's always kind of different and difficult coming back to the court. I felt pretty tight in those two games, and I'm very glad that I was able to finish it with good serves in the last game.”

When the Czech came back, the delay proved irrelevant as the world No. 2 was able to close out the set.

On-court coaching is a unique aspect of the women’s tour, and the Australian Open finalist was asked if this difference from the ATP negatively impacts the perception of the women’s tour, and whether she prefers to use the option.

“From my point, I think the tennis is pretty individual sport, so I think it just should stay like that. But if we have that option to use it, why we don't, right? So yeah.”

This may be a moot point, however, with the ATP considering to adopt the option of coaching for more of the men’s tournaments anyway, even including grand slams.

But the two-time Wimbledon winner doesn’t think it influences the top players much.

“Actually, I don't think it's helping the top players… I think top players are there because they kind of know what to do if anything is happening.”

Kvitová doesn’t have a very successful track record at the Miami Open, having only reached the quarters once before, usually going out in the first couple of rounds. However, at the new Hard Rock Stadium venue, the world No. 2 is back in the quarters again.

“It's different venue. That is different. But, well, we had pretty humid today, like, on the sun was pretty hot today, as well, which I don't really like.

“But on the other hand [I’m] working hard in those practices and whatever the experience is helping, as well. So I'm glad that I'm able to kind of, you know, be there and be fit for those kind of matches, as well.”

Next up for Petra Kvitová is a familiar opponent, Ashleigh Barty, who she’s beaten in all four meetings, on all surfaces, including two this year, on hard courts (Australian Open and Sydney).

“We played two times already in kind of different conditions but in Australia, which I think she really likes. It's always pretty difficult and it's very tricky match. She can mix it up a lot. That's why I need to be ready. It will be totally different compared to today's match, for sure.”

If Petra Kvitová makes it to the Miami Open final, it will be the first time she achieves the world No. 1 ranking. What a remarkable feat that would be, considering that she almost left the game for good since being attacked in her home a few years back.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HUR64E

No comments