Breaking News

Pundit explains how Djokovic can elevate himself above Federer, Nadal

Great Britain's former Davis Cup captain Leon Smith believes that Novak Djokovic is, in some ways, already focusing on the French Open. The Serbian player lost to Philipp Kohlschreiber in Indian Wells and in Miami, he struggled to win his third round against Federico Delbonis. After Djokovic's win over the Argentine, Smith said: “He wants to be the first of this generation to win every Major twice. You forget Federer only has one French Open. Rafa only has one Australian Open. That’s where he can elevate himself above Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal."

Smith also commented on Federer's three-set win over Radu Albot: "I watched the opening three games and I actually said ‘I’m not sure Roger is going to get through this’. I don’t think he’s going to make it’. And there was a chance in that second set, where Albot had a break point opportunity. I just think you cannot underestimate how difficult conditions are here.”

Djokovic feels confident ahead of his fourth-round match against Roberto Bautista Agut in Miami. The Spaniard defeated the Serb at this year's Qatar Open and Djokovic is not playing his best tennis. However, in his press conference, the world no. 1 said: "I think I'm hitting the ball well. I just need a little bit more consistency I think to hold that level of play throughout the entire match. I think that's what it's going to take to win against Bautista. He is one of those players that make you work very hard for every single point. He doesn't make mistakes. Just runs around the court. He's very, very consistent and very solid. He improved his backhand, he improved his serve, and his forehand was always very, very solid and powerful. He won against me in Doha this year. I was a set and a break, up. I remember that match. He managed to turn the match around. I'll definitely do my homework and hopefully get the win in that match."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TX5LUb

No comments