Breaking News

Priscilla Hon finds the rhythm at home in Canberra after US trip

Despite a slower start of 2019, the 20-year-old Brisbane native Priscilla Hon is on a career-high ranking in singles at the moment, losing in the opening round in Brisbane, Melbourne and Indian Wells where she qualified for the main draw. On the other hand, the youngster is still under the impression of her Fed Cup debut against the USA in February, getting a chance to play the deciding fifth doubles rubber together with Ashleigh Barty, beating Danielle Collins and Nicole Melichar 6-4, 7-5 to grab the historic win for Australia and send their country into the semi-final of the World Group. Australia will now host Belarus in April at Pat Rafter Arena in Brisbane and Priscilla can't wait for the tie and to be a part of the team in her native town, having the opportunity to train at Pat Rafter Arena ever since they built it ten years ago. 

After Indian Wells, Priscilla was supposed to stay in Miami but decided to travel home and enter W25 Canberra event on clay as the top seed. In the opening round, Hon took down the 15-year-old Anastasia Berezov 6-3, 6-0 in 62 minutes, facing just two break points and dominating on the return to rattle off the last nine games of the match and leave the junior far behind. Anastasia stayed in touch until 3-3 before Priscilla shifted into a higher gear to win all the games until the end of the encounter and set the second round clash against Alison Bai. 

“It’s a bit different, but it’s good being back home in Australia,” Hon, said. “Initially, I was going to stay and play in Miami, but I’ve been on the road for two months and decided to come back earlier, wanting to play a couple of matches here. There has been a lot happening for me and it’s just good to come home, reset a little and take it all in before I get back into it again. I’m still taking it match by match. There’s a long year to go and I want to get into the top-100 so I'm trying to do anything I can do to get closer to that soon. It’s there, but at the end of the day it’s just another match and I take them all the same. There’s something in the back of my mind which says I should be winning these matches, but I’m doing my best to not put extra pressure on myself.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JVCcNQ

No comments