Breaking News

Roger Federer: I am surprised Thiem didn't do better in the last years

Roger Federer believes that Dominic Thiem has made some huge progress lately. The Austrian is competitive on hard courts as well and he won his maiden Masters 1000 in Indian Wells defeating the Swiss in the Championship clash. In the post-match press conference, Federer said: "You could definitely feel like every shot in Dominic's game has got some punch behind it. I think that's why also he did well here this week. I'm surprised he didn't do better in previous years, because I think it really lends itself to players who can put the pressure on time and time again, and who have a good kick serve. It does go up and it does fly and hard to control, especially once it gets up there. That's where his secret lies, as well, playing well on the clay. He can hit through heavy conditions, forehand and backhand and that time and time again. I think that for most players is a secret how to achieve greatness on clay. And the best at that is Rafa Nadal, obviously."

Federer also commented on his ability to give credit to his opponents despite the frustration: "I guess it is, you know, just accepting a lost point for just a point and not more than that. Can be quite complex sometimes, because every point in tennis feels like it could be a momentum switch. I think that's what I do very well in my head, you know, how I'm able to, for three seconds, analyze it, maybe be frustrated for myself a little bit, and then right away go into relax mode, go into preparation mode for the next point, and be able to think clear again. I think when you feel that way, yeah, you move on quickly. Of course days, maybe, I don't know, you feel just more edgy, for whatever reason that is. Maybe you feel the same in your job, I'm not sure, but I think everybody has those days when you're just more edgy. Could be lack of sleep. Could be anything. That's the days it doesn't come naturally. You have to sometimes really force yourself to stay calm."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2UP0WZ9

No comments