Breaking News

Roger Federer: I have mixed feelings about Miami Open's change of venue

Roger Federer said he will miss everything about playing the Miami Open in Key Biscayne. For the first time in 31 years, the event changed its venue and it will take place at the Hard Rock Stadium. "It was a great event, a lot of history," said the Basel native. "It was considered the fifth slam back in the day. We had best-of-five-set matches from the beginning. A lot has changed. I have had some epic battle there. I go all the way back to '98 when I won the juniors there against Coria in the finals, Nalbandian in the semis, for junior World No. 1. It was the first year it was held at Crandon Park. So I have clearly mixed feelings about the change, but I hope it's all for the better. And I understand the logic behind it, you know, but of course, I will miss the place. It's logical, I think, like all the players."

How will it be like playing in an NFL (American football) stadium? "I don't know. Never played in one (smiling). I'm sure it's going to be exciting, though."

On Karen Khachanov, Federer added: "He did it in a position of strength after a good season. Breakthrough season, essentially. But it's definitely not easy, you know. I never heard anybody say, This was, like, such a simple move for me. It just takes time, you know. I think it seems like he's back to his old racquet again. But I think it's good to test racquets, test frames, test new technology because all of a sudden you realize that something is working better for you. Same with strings, for that matter. There is so much out there in the market that I have always been curious to find out what's out there because maybe you find some that's better."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2CrOQhr

No comments