Breaking News

Roger Federer is a role model, but he's difficult to emulate: Former player

In an interview to Punto de Break, Daniel Munoz de La Nava commented on Roger Federer's longevity. "Federer is a role model in many things, but he is very difficult to emulate. Now people have more means to care of themselves, you have more money - especially at the top - and better ways," said De La Nava.

He also commented on the prize money up for grabs: "Top 10 players are millionaires, this is another story, but the rest? Tennis is a sport where you spend a lot and just a few guys earn from endorsements. A top 40 player, for example, how much will he earn from his apparel's brand a year? €10,000? And his rackets' brand? Other €10,000? There is a lot of misunderstanding about it, you do not earn as much. Grand Slams have increased their prize money a lot, but they are giving just 4% of what they make to the players."

De La Nava also commented on his career: "I had this conversation a lot of times with people who are aware of how difficult it is to be ranked 68th in the world but look, I will tell you a funny thing. One year, I was training at the gym and at the same time, Rafa played the Australian Open final. The 2012 final, against Djokovic. Rafa was world no. 2, he had already had an amazing career, but he lost the final in five sets. I suddenly start hearing people say, "He will not win anyone anymore, he is done." This is the summary of what the Spanish people think of their athletes. In my case, when I was ranked 68th, I know that I could have been better, but I am so proud of my career. I gave (my) 100% and I was always honest with my sport, and that's why I do not play anymore. If I do not play with the same passion, I'd rather not play."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2F6aVnr

No comments