Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Playing on clay again reminds me of my childhood'

Roger Federer is committed to play the Madrid and French Open tournaments on clay. In Indian Wells the 37-year-old spoke about how his game plan looks like for the clay-court season. "The fun part is that I think you can play the angles a bit more", said Federer. "You can open the court more. As much as people think that clay is a slow surface, sure, if it's rainy and stuff, it becomes horribly slow. But when it's a good, nice day, you can play -- almost serve and volley easier than, for instance, tonight. So I think there is many different ways you can win points on clay, so that makes it really exciting. I mean, sliding and hitting, I know nowadays a lot of guys do it on hard courts, too. I don't do it that much. So for me I like that aspect of the clay, and it reminds me of my childhood. I grew up on the clay every day in the summer, in the winter. I was always on the clay. So it's a surface that, you know, I connect it together with my childhood."

On Stan Wawrinka's level, Federer added: "I think he's ready to go. I thought he played great already in Cincinnati last year against me. He's played some good matches since. He had a good Rotterdam. Acapulco, he played good from what I saw against Nick (Kyrgios) and again this tournament, too. So I think he knows, as well as I, that he's very, very close and it's just a matter of time until he's going to break through again."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2OfaMB2

No comments