Breaking News

Roger Federer reacts to disappointing Hopman Cup news

Roger Federer was sad to learn that Hopman Cup would not be played in 2020, with Perth set to host the ATP Cup next year. The Swiss played the team competition event for the last three years winning the last two with Belinda Bencic. "Similar to this situation here, you know. We're not in Key Biscayne anymore. But let's say you're not in Perth anymore for Hopman Cup, and this is where it has always been," said Federer. "This is where the spirit is or was, will always be. Maybe in 50 years, we'll talk differently. Right now obviously it's a bit sad news that that's happening. Has it been announced Perth gets the ATP Cup, though? Okay. Well, that at least maybe redeems things a little bit, but, yeah, I mean, look, I enjoyed the last three years playing there. I played there with Mirka, too. With Martina. I look back, always had a wonderful time. Yeah, I don't know what to say. I'm a bit torn. So that's it."

Federer also commented on the importance of his chip shot: "I'm not sure if I really do that against bigger guys more often than against the other guys. The chip approach on the forehand side was more about sort of trying to fake a drop shot and then not doing it, seeing how he was going to react to it if he was going to sort of bite, like fishing or not. And it worked both times. But it's not a play you can use all the time, because I never practice it, to be honest. It's a bit of -- it's not the most solid play out there. You know, against certain players, slices work better than others. And today I know that if I do slice, I have to run a lot, I have to work a lot, which is fine at times. At the end of the day, I have to come over and have to try and make the plays, too. So I don't necessarily use it against bigger guys more often, I don't believe. Sometimes I have to get into the point through a slice return more often against the bigger guys because they serve bigger, so I choose to go on the chip. That's about it."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2I7anj4

No comments