Breaking News

Stan Wawrinka: 'Roger Federer is the best ever. It will be tough match'

In a press conference at the BNP Paribas Open following a thrilling win against Marton Fucsovics, Stan Wawrinka commented on his upcoming match against Roger Federer for what is set to be a fascinating all Swiss clash. "It's going to be a tough match, for sure", admitted Wawrinka. "He's the best player to ever play the sport. Stats against each other are really, really not in my favour. Yeah, I think it's great for me. Most important is to win two matches here, to win the way I won tonight. It was a tough battle, fighting, staying there physically, tennis-wise, mentally, also. Those match I know that can help me to get some big result."

Wawrinka played Roger well on all surfaces but beaten him three times on clay. Can ye technically explain what he is able to do well against him or clay? "I think maybe on clay, first my game is a bit stronger, I have a little bit more time. I can use more topspin, playing more heavy on his backhand, push him more from the baseline. I think on the hard courts he can always play a little bit quicker. He can come to the net more. He can mix a little bit more. Yeah, it's always been really difficult to play him."

Analyzing his win over Fucsovics, Wawrinka added: "The score, the time on the court, sure, those stats for sure was a crazy match. We played last year against each other in Toronto. Was 1-6, 7-6, 7-6, four match points, 12-10 in the tiebreak of the third. Yeah, we know that we play some tough match against each other. Tonight was the case again. Was some up and down in the level, but in general, I think we went for it. We tried the best we could, and the level for three hours, 25, time, it was a good level."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2CbQx2D

No comments