Breaking News

Watching Roger Federer influenced my game, says former top 30 player

In an interview to Sky Sport, the former world No. 25 Filippo Volandri commented on how it feels to like to face a legend like Roger Federer. "Technique-wise, playing Federer is very difficult because he knows to do everything. Sometimes it happened that I headed into the court after a Federer's match and I did so bad because I was trying to do the same things as him with his natural way but with worse results. He is a difficult player to face, he changes trajectory, not giving you any rhythm. The slice, the spin. And then Federer's name has a weight, like all the champions. He and (Rafael) Nadal have a strong personality."

Volandri still remembers in a deep way his win over Federer in 2007 Rome: "We were always close friends but with that match, I may have earned his respect through that match, not so much human but tennis-wise. He was also looking at me differently after that match and also players did. The whole tennis world. Because they knew I was one of the few people who I beat him in straight sets. Courage, unawareness and mental strength were definitely an important mixture of that match. I was coming from a good time but the mental strength was the key. I had prepared the match in the best possible way with my coach, I knew I had to hit my backhand against his backhand. The crowd's support made a difference and the Foro Italico's Centre Court has something more."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HrmK9y

No comments