Breaking News

Dominic Thiem: 'Only great players have won in Barcelona: Nadal, Muster...'

In a press conference, Dominic Thiem analyzed his win over Daniil Medvedev to win his first Barcelona title. The Austrian player prevailed in straight sets, 6-4 6-0. “Winning this means a lot to me because it’s such a traditional and special tournament", admitted Thiem. "Only great players have won here. Rafa Nadal has won it 11 times and it means a lot that Thomas Muster won it twice. It’s really a big moment for me. A title like this always gives you a lot of confidence, so I’ll be in a good mood going into Madrid. But the special thing about tennis is that I’ll start from zero in Madrid. All the guys there are really strong, so I’ll need to be ready from the first point because it can go very quickly in tennis, keep it up and get used to the conditions. I am just happy that my clay-court game is so good now. It's my biggest title and it makes me happy but now I switch focus to Madrid and the French Open is not really on my mind."

On how it felt to head into the pool after the win, Thiem added: "It was not cold. The pool is heated up and it was really a big joy. It's a tradition. I saw it from the past champions jumping there in the past."

After the match, Medvedev said: “I tried my best, but Dominic was too good. At one point today, even just getting a point off him was a great achievement."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2XP384a

No comments