Breaking News

Fernando Verdasco on ADHD: With years and experience, I managed it

This is part two of the conversation Tennis World had with Fernando Verdasco in Barcelona. You can read Part One here.

The third round of the 2019 Australian Open was variedly momentous for Marin Cilic and Fernando Verdasco. The former’s comeback – glorious as it was – has since come to be the only bright spot in an otherwise dreary season marred by injury-related loss of form. The latter’s loss of grasp on his hold of the match, however, meant that questions abounded about his mental breakdown in the course of the match that later on focused on his having Attention Deficiency/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) as a contributing factor to these lapses.

These pointers – despite their insightfulness – are still second hand in the way they are passed around and trickle through as information. Therefore, it helps if one is able to speak to the player himself regarding the player’s medical condition. Which is what we did when TennisWorld USA got a chance to talk to the Spaniard at the Barcelona Open, during his press meet which really helped bring clarity on the subject, not only vis-à-vis Verdasco but also with respect to any other player with a similar condition who has taken up – or could take up – the sport.

The first thing to understand, then, is that having ADHD was not the same as all cases being similar to each other. “I think there (are) certain levels of that (ADHD),” Verdasco said, while opening up about it. “I know a few persons who have that (ADHD), too and much more than I do. But I actually speak with them and they are thinking about pigs flying in the sky. I am, like, ‘Hello, I am here talking to you,’” Verdasco laughingly regaled. His tone, however, became serious the next minute as he continued, “But that (thinking about pigs flying in the sky) happens to me sometimes, actually.”

Verdasco, then, regards being able to manage the condition successfully as an important learning curve in his life and career. “Obviously, with the years and everything, you learn yourself. If you want to keep (paying) attention of what you are really doing,” the Madrid native noted, adding that things were different back in his childhood days when he had to balance school with tennis and soccer. He said, “When I was a kid, it was tougher because I needed to study and I was thinking about practice (the day after) or I was (thinking about) soccer or about whatever. It was more difficult to keep myself focused.”

Reiterating that it was years and experience that helped him navigate through that phase, Verdasco, however, pointedly mentioned there was no explanation for how he went about it. “How? I don’t know,” he shared, emphasising that at the end of the day, what mattered the most was what a person wanted for oneself, from oneself. “I think, you really want to learn about something or put attention on something, that’s something you really need to realise you really want to do it.”

Medical Assistance

One aspect that spread through about Verdasco’s medical condition, in the aftermath of that loss to Cilic, was about him being forced to take medications in order to keep in line with the anti-doping regulations. However, the Spaniard clarified that was not the case as he did not have a “super aggravated” condition like others. But he did mention he had, at times, consulted a psychologist to help him. “I didn’t really have so much medical help. (But) I, sometimes, in certain moments of my life, had a psychologist for support,” he said adding again such consultations were “not much” because he never felt any different.

According to Verdasco, this was, is – and should be – the biggest differentiating factor between him and the others, most specifically for those who have it and are coming through the sport’s lower rungs. “Me, I didn’t need so much help but if you have (a) more aggravated (condition), I guess you have (to have) it,” Verdasco summed up.

Indifference: The Biggest Difference-maker

Despite all these, the biggest key for Verdasco’s manageability and longevity on the Tour has been that he has ignored all negativity and focused on what he loves to do: play tennis. “I am being honest,” he opened up, adding, “They (the people) can say whatever they think, and everybody is free to do so but I am happy (with) how I am. I love what I do and that is tennis. I will try to do it for as long as possible.”

And given that Verdasco’s journey in Barcelona was truncated in the second round against Grigor Dimitrov, this is a timely opportunity for everyone to remember this.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Pu5IJT

No comments