Breaking News

On-court coaching should be allowed in Majors, says Serena Williams's coach

In an interview to Ouest France, Serena Williams's coach Patrick Mouratoglou commented on why the on-court coaching should be allowed in the Grand Slams. "The coach needs to be on the bench, like in the Davis. For two reasons. First of all, because the coaching is already there, over all the matches the entire year. On tour, 100 percent of people know that. And because we need to rejuvenate tennis. The average fan of tennis is old and you need to get the younger people involved. There needs to be a lot of things ongoing. When you train, many things happen player-coach interaction, interesting information to give, emotions... And players are committed. We know who is who."

Meanwhile, last Sunday Felix Auger-Aliassime commented on how knowing Stefanos Tsitsipas for years helped him to defeat the 20-year-old Greek in last month's Indian Wells. Tsitsipas has been training at the Mouratoglou Academy for some years. “It helped that I knew him from the juniors. For me to win that first match [against Tsitsipas on the ATP Tour] is important because it was a bit of a statement that we can also win and compete with these top guys. It gave me confidence, but I’ve played him before, so it wasn’t a big surprise", said the Canadian, who also praised also praised the Barcelona Open draw that features the 11-time tournament winner Rafael Nadal as a top seed: “The draw is so strong that it’s a bit like a [ATP] Masters 1000 event. I would love to get through the first rounds here. Being seeded for the first time is a bit different and a nice feeling, but I can’t focus too much on results because I don’t have my marks here. It’s a new tournament for me, so I just want to keep competing well and play my game.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2UVjECu

No comments