Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Maiden Wimbledon title came in the right moment'

In an interview, Roger Federer recalled when he won his maiden Grand Slam title at 2003 Wimbledon. The Swiss beat Mark Philippoussis in a straight-set final. "Life on tour is incredibly quick, years go on by a blink of an eye and that was absolutely amazing, came a little bit out of the blow even though I was a top ten and everything", said Federer. "It was not only my first Wimbledon title but my first Grand Slam title overall, and it happened in a moment where I really needed it. I remember losing in the first round of the French Open and in the first round of Wimbledon the year before too so these were some couple of depressing losses, and questions started to be asked, Am I ever going to make it. So that win came in the right time, gave me all the confidence I needed to then become world No. 1 a few weeks later."

Federer also commented on how his personality changed over the years: "Just struggling to keep my temper, it's funny because I had all the temperament even on the tour but the problem it was all before I really broke through when I beat Pete Sampras at Wimbledon. One month before that, I literally decided, I am just gonna be quiet now and I am gonna be so angry if I am not gonna be quite myself. I just pulled it through. You can ask all my generation' players what I used to be in the juniors up until about 20, 21 years old. And then I became that super quiet guy that everybody knows but people really remember that crazy guy who used to commentate every shot I missed, who cried after matches, broke rackets, just be so emotional and torn on the court and not argue with every's my opponent or the umpire's decisions at all, just with myself, trying to be too perfect too soon. It was very much part of me and it was good to get all out when I was between eight and 20. And then now I can play with that serenity."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2VDtR64

No comments