Breaking News

Tarpischev praises Medvedev for win v Djokovic but tells him to improve

In an interview, Russia's Tennis Federation chief Shamil Tarpischev commented on Daniil Medvedev defeating Novak Djokovic in the Monte Carlo Masters quarter-finals. Tarpischev believes there is still room to improve for the 22-year-old. "After the match with Medvedev, Djokovic admitted that he did not expect his opponent would have had so much strength to bring the match to an end. Medvedev is progressing well, he is playing in a smart and different way, but his body is still not strong enough, he needs muscles. But this is a matter of time, in general, Medvedev is on a good way", said Tarpischev.

Analyzing his loss to Dusan Lajovic in the semifinals, Medvedev said: "I think he started playing better and better gradually, and when we were at 5-3, 5-4, he didn't miss any point. I think that was what happened. If I look back in hindsight, then when I was 5-1 or 5-2, I could have taken advantage of some chances and finished up then. Then we never know how the match could have ended. So I have nothing to say because this is not what happened and I have to congratulate him."

Medvedev finally praised his opponent: "If he's able to play every tournament as he has been playing this one, I'm sure he's going to become top 20 after the clay court season. But then, as I was saying, up until 5-1, I was playing well and he was playing not that well, but as from 5-3, he started playing really big.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2KWLwBD

No comments