Breaking News

Brad Gilbert Inducted into Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame

Tennis - Former World No. 4 Brad Gilbert will be inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame later this week, according to the Marin Independent Journal. Gilbert has been a resident of Marin for nearly three decades now and speaking to the website, he commented how fortunate he was to make a career out of something that he was passionate about. “I’ve been very fortunate, very lucky to be able to do something I really like doing and to be part of something I’m really passionate about. I was able to go past playing where sometimes you can’t. I was able to go right into coaching and then right into ESPN. … I’m still doing what I love to do, being involved with tennis. Getting to compete was my favourite thing. (In tennis) you’re not judged by being small or young, you’re judged on how you compete. …If you can play, people give you a lot more respect.”

The highlights of his career included a bronze medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics and reaching two Grand Slam quarter-finals. Gilbert will be inducted into the Hall of Fame by Andre Agassi, one of the pupils he coached to six Grand Slam titles. He also coached Andy Roddick to the only Grand Slam title the American won at the 2003 US Open.

The Hall of Fame treasurer Anthony Savicke commented,,"Growing up in the Bay Area, Brad represents the face of Bay Area tennis. His exceptional tennis career — the fact he was the coach of some of the biggest names in tennis (i.e. Agassi-Roddick-Murray) and a longtime tennis commentator — makes him more than worthy of joining our Hall of Fame.”

Gilbert is currently a commentator for ESPN and says he is happy to see the amazing run of the Big Four during his commentating journey. "The amazing thing is I’ve got to see this run of (Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Murray), especially the first three so many times sitting courtside and playing some crazy long, epic matches. What you root for is a great match. I don’t pull for somebody, I pull for a great match. When I get to see something special between them, sometimes you have to pinch yourself.

Gilbert also announced on Twitter that he would run for a position as the American representative on the ATP Tour Board. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2VaDJVB

No comments