Breaking News

David Ferrer: 'Roger Federer is the greatest. I never beat him'

In an interview to Marca David Ferrer was asked who he thinks is the greatest player ever. The Spaniard replied: "Roger Federer. Because I could never beat him, he makes difficult things in an easy way and he is the biggest you have", said Ferrer, who lost all the 17 matches played against the Swiss in his career.

His best memories? "I had two: when I won the Paris Masters and the second Davis Cup in Sevilla. It was very emotional to defeat a great Juan Martin del Potro in front of 25,000 people." And the worst one? "The Miami final with Andy Murray. Not winning the title on that match point when I asked for the Hawk-Eye Challenge."

On the legacy of Spanish tennis, Ferrer added: "We won many Davis Cups. But there are good players now as well. There are Bautista Agut, Pablo Carreno Busta. Then Jaume Munar, Carlos Alcaraz, Alex Davidovich will come... They will definitely mark an era. When Carlos Moya, Alex Corretja, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Albert Costa were playing, they were also saying that there would not be a generational change. You will see players capable to win a Masters 1000, Grand Slam or being a top ten player. If you ask me if there will be another Rafa Nadal I already tell you no. Someone like him is unique and historical."

Would Ferrer be an icon in Spain if he did not live there? "It depends on the country. It can be. Luckily I feel happy with where I was born, being Spaniard, living in Javea. In another country, I would definitely be a reference point. But I also say that I was lucky to win three Davis Cups thank to being Spaniard."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Hfd6X9

No comments