Breaking News

Gael Monfils credits Roger Federer for saving two match points against him

In a press conference in Madrid, Gael Monfils commented on his three-set loss to Roger Federer. The Frenchman said: "I was not far away, I did not manage to convert my two match points. I started on a bad note with many mistakes. I was also tense. It was horrible. I needed to take a bit of energy, it was really going too fast. Then it was another match. Roger was pretty aggressive, which was something expected. I started making him do more unforced errors, I was hitting heavier balls and I played much better. On the third set, I did not make good choices on some points and Roger was very successful. On 4-2 break point he hit an amazing forehand with a great trayectory. That's my second tournament on clay and I hope to do better."

Federer saved the match points while serving to stay in the match while down 5-6 in the third set. Earlier, he was down 1-4 in the set after being broken early in the set. He, however, broke back in the seventh game and then consolidated the break to level the set at 4-all. In the third set tie-break, it was all Federer.  

Alexander Zverev commented on David Ferrer's retirement from tennis: "Yeah, I mean, I won the match, but it was definitely his night. It was a great honor for me to be able to play the last match of his career against me. And, obviously, as I said, I have so much respect for him, so much respect for him as a person, as a player, and I wish him nothing but the best. I hope he doesn't disappear from the tennis circuit completely and that we will still see him around."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2WGsYaw

No comments