Breaking News

Gael Monfils: I have big ambitions at Grand Slams

French tennis star Gael Monfils is in good spirits as he is targeting to make a deep run in front of his home crowd at the French Open. 

Monfils, seeded at No. 14, clinched his second consecutive straight-set win at the tournament as he saw off fellow compatriot Adrian Mannarino 6-3 6-4 6-4 to set up a third-round meeting against another Frenchman, Antoine Hoang. 

Previously, world No. 17 Monfils kicked off his Roland Garros campaign with a convincing win over Japanese Taro Daniel as he dropped just five games 6-0 6-4 6-1 in his opener. 

"I feel good, I'm not tired," Monfils said after beating Mannarino. Let's not forget that my coach helps me a lot too. I have big ambitions at the Grand Slams." 

Monfils' next opponent will be French Open wildcard sensation Hoang, who beat three-time ATP champion Damir Dzumhur in the first round before he also stunned former world No. 7 Fernando Verdasco in the second round respectively. 

Monfils, 32, and 23-year-old Hoang are set to clash against each other for the first time as they have no previous meetings. 

"I don't know him very well. I don't know what to expect. I don't have much to say about him," Monfils said of Hoang, per Tennis Magazine Twitter. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2JMTCvl

No comments