Breaking News

Marcelo Melo: 'Age is not that important in tennis. Look at Roger Federer'

Marcelo Melo does not see the finish line on his career yet. In an interview with Brazil El Pais, the Brazilian doubles player said: "My peak was in 2017. Through those results that was the best year in my career, even for the experience, I have had on Tour and the way I played with Lukasz Kubot, my current partner. As for the age, you can see Roger Federer played very well until now. The age is not a too notable fact, but I think it brings consequences that you get affected by over time. I think I will play tennis at least until the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020."

Did Melo deliver his best tennis alongside Kubot? "With Ivan Dodig too. With Kubot, it was my best year, with the best results. With Ivan, I won the French Open and I became the world No. 1."

What is the difference between Brazilians and abroad doubles partners? "The culture is different. Andre Sa and Bruno Soares, I have been knowing them since my childhood. I always try to fit as most as possible to each of them, which is tough because everyone has his own personality. But I met a lot of good partners and I learned a lot."

On how different is to play Davis Cup, Olympics and ATP tournaments, Melo concluded: "It's different to play as teams and in singles. The most important thing is to represent Brazil in the best possible way. In Olympics, we have other Brazilians from other sports. Olympics are very important because we have very few chances in life if you are lucky. We (Melo and Bruno Soares) lost twice in the quarters, even in Rio, and we were about to get a medal. It's difficult to know what we did wrong."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2WjoPsR

No comments