Breaking News

Roger Federer can beat Nadal or Djokovic, not win French Open - Wilander

In an interview, the former world no. 1 Mats Wilander commented on Roger Federer's chances in the upcoming French Open. The Swiss will make his first appearance there since his 2015 quarter-finals loss to Stan Wawrinka. "Roger Federer plays... He can beat Novak Djokovic or Rafa Nadal, but winning seven matches in a row, I do not know if that's possible. It's an open tournament and after the two first rounds I think we may have a clearer idea at who has most chances to win the trophy," said Wilander, who also made a prediction: "I think my dream final this year in the French Open would be Stefanos Tsitsipas against Denis Shapovalov. I want to see new faces. I love the top players, but for me, tennis matters the most. I do not care if Rafa or Novak win."

He finally spoke about his connection with Romania: "My first memory related to Romania is Ilie Nastase. He was my father's favorite. And he was my favorite in the beginning. Because Bjorn Borg defeated Nastase in 1976 Wimbledon, supporting the Romanian player was popular in Sweden. Then in 1979, I figured out Florin Segărceanu. So Romania was very important for tennis in Sweden."

In an interview before leaving for Paris, Simona Halep commented on how her expectations are ahead of the second calendar Grand Slam. The Romanian will try to retain her 2018 title there that she got by defeating Sloane Stephens in a three-set final. "These are special moments and will remain special, it was for the first time and it is my favourite tournament. Clay is a surface like to play on. It's faster there, one can slip, but every year things are different. I am very glad, another year has passed and I am (the) last year's champion I am glad I am going there. Paris is my favourite city and I am looking forward to getting there", said Halep. "I do not think I am the favorite or not. I believe I have to go there and do my best. If I win matches, it's good For me, most important is that I am okay and I am going there. At Roland Garros, every day counts. One has to win tough matches to reach the second week."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2WqNkr4

No comments