Breaking News

Roger Federer cannot win the French Open, Stuttgart chief claims

In an exclusive interview to Tennis World USA, the Stuttgart Mercedes Cup Tournament Director Edwin Weindorfer commented on Roger Federer's chances in the clay season. Weindorfer said: "I do not think he can win the French Open, that's my personal opinion. I think that there are too many clay-courters. Look at Dominic Thiem and Daniil Medvedev. I mean, even if Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are not playing at their best level, on clay if Roger has a five-set match at the French Open, with his age - okay he is in great shape - but can he recover going into the next match. The only way for him to win in Roland Garros is to have all straight-set matches along the way. If he plays matches over four and five hours, it will be tough. In Wimbledon, it's completely different to the French Open. I see Roger as one of the favourites."

Weindorfer was also asked how much time Federer has left in tennis: "I personally do not know. 2020 is a very important strategic year for Roger with the Olympic Games in Tokyo. 2020 may be his last year, I do not know. His biggest goal is to win Wimbledon again, for the legacy, and he will probably play there this year and next year. And winning the Olympics is very important for him. But it's just my opinion."

Weindorfer also spoke about Alexander Zverev potentially playing in Stuttgart: "We are waiting for him to eventually take a wild card. We could not reach an agreement before, because Sascha wanted a minimum three-year deal and we could not find that. He has a lot to defend in the next weeks, he is not playing great at the moment and my goal is to have Sascha playing the tournament in 2019, 2020, 2021. And my goal is to also have Roger. That's no secret. We have a budget for that, we want to make sure that with Sascha there is a longtime deal."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2vLHh1u

No comments