Breaking News

Roger Federer has not criticized Davis Cup, says Gerard Pique

In an interview to El Pais, the FC Barcelona defender Gerard Pique commented on the ITF introducing a new Davis Cup format. Pique is among the investors about the project and he was asked his thoughts on Roger Federer saying that the event should not become a Pique Cup. "I heard his sayings and they were not bad. He was saying that he was sad because the previous format was on the system for many years, but he was also saying he was looking forward to seeing how the new format would be. There is a margin of confidence", said Pique.

"I do not want to make tennis like football", he added. "Every sport has its characters and history, and I like tennis the way it is. I have been a fan of it since I was a kid, I follow all the tournaments and I know the rankings and all the players. I am obsessed with sports."

He is not worried for the future of tennis and Davis Cup once Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic retire from the professional tour. "We, the Kosmos group, understand that tennis is a top sport over the world. It is followed more in some countries than others, but in general, it is very followed. I would tell you it's on the top 3, with football and basketball. When they retire there will be another generation of players that will bring a good show. There are Kyrgios, Zverev, Thiem… The gap between them and a Grand Slam win is small, what happens is that they are coinciding with unbelievably high-level players. Generations go on, but tennis is a sport that keeps earning fans and so you should invest in it."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HdhlTa

No comments