Breaking News

Roger Federer: I have been well received in Spain because of Nadal rivalry

Roger Federer felt pleased with his straight-set win over Richard Gasquet in Madrid on Tuesday. In his on-court interview, the Basel native said: "It was a good match. It's nice to be back on the clay, happy to be here, it's been a long time, can't believe it's been that many days but it does not feel like I have been that long away because practice had been going really well the last few weeks and it has given me a lift also to know that I can play on this surface still and of course I grew up on this surface so I feel comfortable but I think Richard was also a bit hurt maybe still from his match yesterday so it was nice to see him back after so many months being away from the tour injured so for both of us it was a special match here back in Madrid."

Federer also commented on the amazing welcome he got from the Spanish event where he has made his comeback for the first time since 2015. "It's been wonderful. Here always in Spain I have been well received over the last decade because of my rivalry with Rafa Nadal and all the other Spanish players like David Ferrer and so forth so the people really know me, they followed my matches closely for so many years, they heard me speak and they kind of know me, so when I come to their market they appreciate and so do I. Full house, special atmosphere."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HeYIg5

No comments