Breaking News

Roger Federer on his win against Monfils:'I kept on believing and fighting'

In a press conference Roger Federer analyzed his three-set win over Gael Monfils. The Swiss player had won the first set 6-0, then the Frenchman cameback and Federer only prevailed in the third set tie-break.

"It cannot go on like this", said Federer. "You can dream about 6-Love, 6-Love (smiling) but they never happen. I think that's the beauty of the scoring system that if you win the first set, everything's back to scratch in the second set. And I don't remember the break in the first game, but I think Gael showed great intensity in the beginning of the second set to make sure that he somehow gets a rhythm going and he starts playing better and he did. And I guess even though I got back and had my chances and it was a pity I couldn't get the break in the second set when he served and volleyed on second serve to go up 5-4. That would have been a nice break to get. I had a tough five games in a row where I lost, I am down 3-1 and eventually 4-1 in the third. I think it was a combination of Gael really able to maybe be better from the baseline. It was swirly, so it was harder to hit winners. I believe as the wind picks up, you play safer and he is such a fast mover so it's harder to get past him at some stage. If you don't serve well, it is extra hard. And I just kept on believing, fighting, hoping that something could maybe go my way, and it did. So, I also needed a bit of luck at the end and a bit of inspired tennis, I guess, to some extent, and it all worked out and I played a good breaker, so that was nice. So, I'm very happy."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2LEM2Vu

No comments