Breaking News

Roger Federer reacts to Stan Wawrinka not playing 2019 Laver Cup

Roger Federer was sorry about Stan Wawrinka not playing the Laver Cup in Geneva. The world No. 3 said: "Yes. This is a disappointment for me and certainly for the Swiss public. But I also understand his decision. I hoped he would choose the Laver Cup. I told Steve Zacks (the CEO) that he would do his best to bring him over. My priorities have always been clear; it was Rafa, Novak and Stan. After, he is in shape and wants to chase away the points. I understand but it's a shame."

Wawrinka said: "There were discussions last year, with Roger first and then our respective managers. From there, it was pretty clear in my mind that I would not play it. It's a choice. I wanted to [play], Roger wanted me to play it. Unfortunately, it did not happen. And since then I have been in St. Petersburg for the past few days, my decision is now public.”

Meanwhile, the former world No. 4 Greg Rusedski spoke about the Swiss: “Federer rarely loses back-to-back-to-back to somebody. Federer’s got a lot of pride, he’s had a lot of preparation and rest. Federer got a little tired in the third set against Thiem in Indian Wells. I don’t think Federer is going to be tired today in the third set. He’s had perfect preparation coming into Madrid. Thiem is playing absolutely brilliant, was sensational in Barcelona and is doing all the right things. But this is Federer. Let’s not forget that. He is considered one of the best of all time and he doesn’t like to lose to anybody."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2w28GMZ

No comments