Breaking News

Roger Federer reveals when he realized he could be a great player

In a recent interview, Roger Federer revealed when he understood he could become a great tennis player. The Swiss said: "You have milestones, winning Wimbledon junior in 1998 and then finishing number one junior in the world at the end of 1998 first maybe started me dreaming that I could maybe do that in the seniors. Then I think cracking top 10 is a big deal and then beating Sampras at 2001 Wimbledon, winning my first Wimbledon, my first world championships in 2003 in Houston when I beat Agassi, that was a huge moment for me, I finished the year world No. 2, and from then on my career was different. I won the Australian Open two months later, became world No. 1 and from then on I was at a crossroads and I had to decide: I want to do more of this or am I happy with everything I have achieved. And I decided to work extra hard, to be extra committed, and I am happy it was the right decision."

Federer finally commented on his biggest childhood idols: "For me was Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg. I used to watch them at Wimbledon finals, in the living room back home in Basel in Switzerland, then Pete Sampras was a favourite player of mine, I used to enjoy following Marcelo Rios as well with his easy style that he used to have. And then I enjoyed watching them playing against the likes of Carlos Moya, Tim Henman and all these guys on the Tour that when I came up they were still around. So I think they were very important for me to have someone to look forward to, not maybe copy but take the best out of those players."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2VmGaEL

No comments