Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Thiem is the favorite in Paris with Nadal and Djokovic'

Returning to clay for the first time in three years, Roger Federer played on a very high level in Madrid, beating Richard Gasquet and saving two match points against Gael Monfils to reach the quarters. Delivering everything from his attacking arsenal, Roger was on the level terms with an in-form Dominic Thiem for the most of the match, wasting two match points in a super exciting second set tie break and losing 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, switching the focus to Rome as his last tournament before Paris.

Also, Roger notched the 1200th ATP win here in Madrid, joining Jimmy Connors as the second player with that many triumphs in the Open era, not aware of the milestone before he finished the match with Gael and checked some reactions. Also, Roger praised Dominic Thiem as one of the players to beat at Roland Garros together with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. 

"I didn't have time to think about 1200 ATP wins, the 1000 number was massive for me, I think in Brisbane a few years ago when I won the title, and I didn't know I was chasing the 1200th win against Gael, finding out after the match. I was excited, it is a fact that I have been on the Tour for so long and winning a lot. It certainly wasn't easy to reach that, saving those match points, but some of my other wins didn't come easy either, I'm happy, I celebrated it in a great fashion. For years, I played everywhere, indoor season, hard season, clay season, and it was really nice to take that break in 2016 for my family, health standpoint and my mind as well. 

I didn't plan to stop the clay season in 2016 after losing to Thiem in Rome, going to Paris but having to withdraw as things were just not good for me with back and knee issues. I focused on grass season, hoping to play healthy again but I realized the knee issues were not going away and I needed a proper break. It was good for me to take such a tough decision. Dominic Thiem has been one of the best players on clay in recent years and he is one of the top favorites for Roland Garros, right there with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. I hope I can play well there and give them some troubles, I'm excited to be there again."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Q1IQSs

No comments