Breaking News

Tennis is a business. Look at Davis Cup, says Ion Tiriac

In an interview to El Pais, the Mutua Madrid Open owner Ion Tiriac blasted the new Davis Cup format that will be hosted in November in Madrid. The Romanian investor said: "How can you have 18 teams over the same week, in the same place? Will they have 18 locker rooms? How will you play a Davis Cup match on a 1,500-seated court? Money, money and money. ITF sold it this way and we can do nothing."

Tiriac also criticized the FC Barcelona defender Gerard Pique: "Mr Pique is a football player who plays in a big team, but he could never play in a team like Real Madrid, which is another thing. I once saw him, and despite I did not know him I told him that I would change the football rules too: you do not hit with the penalty with the foot anymore, you hit it with the head... Please, we understand a bit more about tennis. If you give me three more billions I hold the best tournament in the world, but of real tennis. I bet with you today that this format will not last for more than three years. If I go buying a ticket, for which court do I do it? Manolo Santana, Arantxa Sanchez or the third one? And who plays?"

Tiriac also commented on what having a new 10,000 seated court would mean: "We are very, very close to signing a deal with the city... Our company did a great job. I undestand the difficult time of the economic economy, and even more the European one, but they keep me asking a prize money increase. Ok, I am okay with it, but I have to think about how I get more spectators, sponsors, etc..."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/30ebTGL

No comments