Breaking News

Katie Boulter Withdraws from Wimbledon Due to Back Injury

Britain's Katie Boulter has withdrawn from Wimbledon due to an ongoing back injury and says she is devastated to miss her home Grand Slam tournament, according to BBC Sport. Boulter's last tournament was the Fed Cup event where Britain defeated Kazakhstan.

In a statement released, Boulter says, "The road to recovery has had its ups and downs. At various points along the way I've been very close to getting back on court and competing, but unfortunately I'm not quite ready in time for Wimbledon. On the advice of my medical team, I've made the decision to give my recovery a couple more weeks. I am absolutely devastated to be missing my home Grand Slam and the opportunity to play in front of our incredible fans but sadly I won't be 100% fit. Wimbledon is the most special tournament of the year for me and I can't wait to get back on the grass courts next year."

The 22-year-old is ranked No. 127 in the WTA world rankings, down from her career-best ranking of No. 82 earlier this year. Boulter has reached the second round of the Wimbledon Championships last year. She also reached the second round of the Australian Open in January and the third round of the US Open, way back in 2017. She was a top junior, being ranked in the Top 10 in the world junior rankings prior to turning professional and is coached by Jeremy Bates, Nigel Sears and Mark Taylor.

There is no definite timeline on her return just yet.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Ru5rrm

No comments