Breaking News

Andy Lapthorne Says He Wants to Improve his Record in Singles

Tennis - Andy Lapthorne says winning his first Wimbledon doubles championship in the quads division with Australia's Dylan Alcott has been an amazing experience. Lapthorne also reached the singles final where he was beaten by Alcott.

In an interview to Sky Sports, Lapthorne says, "I take away the support, I take away the love from everyone, the support at Wimbledon has been fantastic and the All England Club has been fantastic to us - props to them for what they have done to showcase our sport and the division."

Lapthorne says he hopes to continue working hard for his success and wants to improve his record in singles finals as well. "I don't play the game to be number two, I don't do anything to come second and I know what needs to be done for me to be anywhere near where I need and want to be. I can play tennis, I know I can play tennis and on the training court I can do scary things. But I'm now in a position where my record in singles finals is what it is and it is probably in my head. I love this sport at times, I don't love it as much at other times, but I don't play the game to be number two, I don't do anything to come second and I know what needs to be done for me to be anywhere near where I need and want to be. So hopefully there's someone out there that is a sports psychologist that thinks that they can help me and they'll get in touch because that's what I need at this point, I need to find that self-belief in singles finals."

Lapthorne will continue playing the British Open in Nottingham next week before heading back to the US Open, where he won the wheelchair singles title in 2014.

Lapthorne commented, "There are lots of things in America that make me play well and I'm going to enjoy it. I like being there, I like sports - I'm planning to watch the St Louis Cardinals who are my baseball team - and I love the vibe of New York. Wimbledon is amazing because it's the first place I came to watch tennis as a kid and it's always been my dream to play here that's why I fought so hard for so long to get our division playing there but there's a reason why the only singles Grand Slam I have is in New York and that's maybe because the vibe is more me."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2yeamny

No comments