Breaking News

Becker says he could compete with Roger Federer if he were 25 years younger

GSP asked the former world No. 1 Boris Becker if he believed that if he were 25 years old now and fitter, he would win a Grand Slam title competing against today's players. The German said: "I think that a champion, regardless of his age, finds a way to win. Tennis is going through an unbelievable time with Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, just like it happened with John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi. Every time has its champions and they always look for a way to win."

Tennis changed... "Yeah, compared to 20 years ago, the quality of shots and recovery improved a lot. Imagine Roger Federer with a wooden racket! I think if we had that back in our time, it would be a normal match. Now everyone is better prepared physically, stronger, which did not happen in the 90s. But make me 25 years younger and you will see."

Per rumours Becker was reportedly supposed to possibly coach Halep earlier in the year: "There is always some buzz around me, wherever I go and whatever I do. I felt proud for joining the discussion, that the world thought I would be her coach but first of all, I never spoke about it and the second thing it was not an option since I am working for the German Federation and I work as a TV commentator."

Becker coached Novak Djokovic and led him to six Grand Slam titles between 2014-16. Under his coaching, Djokovic completed the non-calendar Grand Slam in 2016. The duo parted ways at the end of the 2016 season. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/36PwmoV

No comments