Breaking News

Roger Federer unlikely to play clay-court events before 2020 French Open

Roger Federer hinted he may not play any clay-court tournament before the French Open in 2020.

This year, the Swiss competed in both the Mutua Madrid and Rome Opens reaching the quarter-finals. He won two matches in each event, after receiving a first-round bye. He also reached the French Open semi-final (lost to Rafael Nadal).

The Basel native, speaking with Azteca, said: "In 2016, when I had problems with my knee I did try to play a bit on clay and I pulled out of Paris and I did not play the rest of the year anymore after Wimbledon. I needed surgery on my knee and I came back in 2017, I just felt like it was not the year to play on clay, because we were worried about how my knee is going to react between hard, clay and grass and all those different continents that I play on. And then in 2018 I also said, You know what? It's not the moment, we have other private things that we wanted to do, my wife wanted to have a big birthday, I wanted to care of that with a lot of friends and the year before it worked out so well by not playing on clay but this year when I came back I was like, Should I play on clay? I told everybody, Honestly, I cannot play for the third year anymore for the third season in a row on clay, I did and I had a good time. Next year I will play the French Open again, I will probably not play anything before the French Open but I will play the French Open so it's great." 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2L3cO70

No comments