Breaking News

Ronnie O'Sullivan: 'I wouldn't watch tennis unless it's Federer, Djokovic, Nadal'

The 19-time Major champion Ronnie O'Sullivan made a debut at the UK Championship in 1992 at the age of 16, writing a history a year later when he claimed the title as the youngest winner of a ranking event in snooker! Almost 20 years later, O'Sullivan is still among the best players in the world, hoping to claim the third straight UK Championship crown in York and add the 20th Major trophy to his already impressive collection. O'Sullivan had a tremendous 2018/19 season, conquering Shanghai Masters, Champion of Champions event, UK Championship, Players Championship and Tour Championship, accomplishing the 1000th century and reaching the record-breaking 36 ranking titles that put him on the same level with Stephen Hendry. Speaking about his achievements, Ronnie mentioned the leading tennis players and Tiger Woods, always comparing himself to those legends and highlighting consistency as the key to success. 

"The consistency is always the key," O'Sullivan said. "Anything that relates to consistency is pretty cool, and it was done over a long period. I've won a lot of Major tournaments with a lot of pressure involved. I think it's got to be up there with one of the best achievements that anyone can achieve in any sport. The best way to be able to judge how your career's gone is by comparing it to others. I look at Roger Federer and Tiger Woods going for their Majors in tennis and golf. They have four majors a year, whereas we have three, but I've been going a bit longer, which I suppose makes my record not look so good. I haven't done the maths. Because I've played sport, I look at lesser players in other sports and see them as the equivalent of someone down the rankings in snooker. I think: 'I ain't got time to watch people like that.' I want to watch someone who's doing the business.' I wouldn't watch tennis unless it's Federer, Djokovic or Nadal. I wouldn't watch football unless Messi's playing and I wouldn't watch golf unless it's Tiger Woods. I switch over to something else."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2OXcE2s

No comments