Breaking News

The real reason why Nick Kyrgios did not play Davis Cup tie vs Canada

Australia's Davis Cup team captain Lleyton Hewitt explained why he did not pick Nick Kyrgios to play against Canada on Thursday in Madrid. Hewitt said: "He got injured last night. So, yeah, we didn't really have a choice. He, yeah, couldn't play. Earlier today we found out. So Johnny had to step up to the plate. He had a collarbone injury. I think it was similar to what he had at Laver Cup time. That's just the way the cards fell. It's been pretty tough I guess trotting back out the last three nights as well. To Johnny's credit, he went out there and left it all out on the court."

Hewitt feels proud for his guys: "I think any time you play for your country, you go out there and you've got your captain and coach and teammates on the sideline. And, you know, added pressure comes with representing your country in that situation. And, you know, I think in any kind of format that I've ever seen anyone play for their country, they go out there and leave it all out there. And this format, you know, as I said, the format changed but we still came here to give absolutely everything we could, and we did that. I'm very proud of my team. Obviously, everyone's pretty disappointed. Yeah, all the guys put in a lot of effort and hard work as well, you know. It's not just turning up here. There's a lot of preparation that goes in. And the boys all did that for me and the coaching staff."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2OatI5K

No comments